The inaugural Gran Fondo New York brings Italian cycling culture to the world’s greatest city on May 8, 2011. Join thousands of cyclists on a challenging 107 mile Gran Fondo and 71 mile non competitive Medio Fondo from New York City to Bear Mountain and back in an experience fit for a pro and open to anyone who loves to ride.
- Official Qualifier for the UCI Amateur World Championship
- 4 timed climbs
- categories: overall, age groups, cycling team, him & her
- King and Queen of the Mountains win Pinarello bikes
- Closed roads on all timed climbs and across the George Washington Bridge. Police moderated traffic along the entire course.
- international competitor field with athletes from 30 countries. Hundreds of athletes are coming from abroad. Italians and Canadians make up the largest international contingents. Athletes are coming to NYC from as far as Australia.
- post-race meal and party with NYC street performers
- world-wide press coverage from our international Media Partners and local tv channels and newspapers
- two-day expo at the legendary concert venue Roseland Ballroom in midtown Manhattan
- Giordana European cut men’s cycling jersey ($110 value) provided by GFNY to every rider is mandatory attire for the event for participant safety
- awards and raffle prizes valued at more than $100,000
- great prizes from our sponsors include: Pinarello bikes, Mavic wheels, Diadora shoes, Limar helmets, Selle San Marco saddles
- musette bag
- free weekly training rides for all registered participants
- calm start line with the racing beginning at mile 35
- six fully stocked aid stations (three for Medio Fondo)
- on-course mechanical support provided by Mavic and local bike shops
- motorcycle marshal support and SAG
- thousands of volunteers cheering and helping you through the day